Purchasing self care and personal care products can get rather expensive! These products are consumable, which means eventually we need to purchase them again. One way you can save money on these items is to make them yourself! Initial costs up front may be more, but when you make bulk quantities of products you end up saving in the long run. Today, we are telling you how to make your own toothpaste. This homemade toothpaste recipe is pretty easy to concoct. Give it a try for yourself!
DIY Toothpaste / Homemade Toothpaste Ingredients:
- 5 tablespoons of calcium powder
- 3 tablespoons of Xylitol powder (this is optional, but it does keep the toothpaste from having a bitter taste).
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda (this is optional)
- 2 tablespoons of Bentonite Clay (or Calcium powder)
- 3 tablespoons of distilled water (you may need a bit more to thin it out)
- 30 or more drops of essential oils such as Spearmint, Peppermint, Cinnamon, etc.
Homemade Toothpaste Directions:
In a food processor, mix together all the ingredients except the clay. Once everything is well-blended and smooth, add in the clay a little bit at a time. Hand mix the clay into the main mixture using a plastic fork or spoon. Be sure to use the essential oils according to your tastes. Then, find a container or jar to store the toothpaste in. The consistency of the toothpaste will vary based on the temperature in which it is stored. It will be thicker when the temperatures are lower and a tooth-paste like consistency in warmer temperatures.