Whether you are a full-time stay at home mom/dad or a full-time professional business woman/man, we all need a way to relax every once in awhile. If we can find a way to save some money, even better. Here are 8 tried and true ways to relax for nearly nothing.
1. Breathe! That’s right…take a deep breath, and blow it out slowly. This simple activity has been proven to lower a persons stress level and help them “see a little more clearly.” It is assumed to be from the extra oxygen you are supplying the brain with. So next time stress is getting the better of you. Stop what you are doing, close your eyes and take a big deep breath.
2. Read. Even if you let yourself get lost in a book for 10 minutes a night, that small break from reality may be just what you need.
3. Add an extra shower, or a soak in the tub to your day.
4. Go for an evening walk. No music, no cell phones… just you and the fresh air. The first time or two it may be hard for you to do, but that break from technology is extremely rewarding.
5. Stretch! Simple, huh?! Lay out on your livingroom floor and stretch you hands as far out in front of you as you can. Point your toes in the opposite direction…. Now Streeetch! Within a few minutes of your stretching routine, you’ll feel your body begin to relax.
6. Essential oils. Put a dab of lavender behind your ears. The aroma is known to relax the body. This works great for people who suffer from stress related insomnia.
7. Turn off the TV at least 20 minutes before bedtime. This allows your body to wind down from the day. TV may cause us to be physically lazy, but because of all of the activity on the screen, it keeps our minds spinning.
8. Get enough sleep! Not everyone needs 8 hours. Some need more, and some need less. After being fairly attached to your body for many years, you know when you haven’t gotten enough sleep. If you know you seem to do better with 7 hours, try to allow yourself 7 hours. I kept a sleep log for a month, and was able to determine the best amount of sleep for me.
Which one will you be trying?